San Francisco CrossFit
San Francisco, California
09/12 & 09/13
September 12 & 13 , 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Instructor: Dr. Kelly Starrett
Movement and Mobility 102: TRS Coach’s Course expands and builds upon the principles of our Movement & Mobility 101 Course based on Dr. Kelly Starrett's system of resolving mechanically based musculoskeletal pain, preventing injury, and optimizing athletic movement and performance.
Coaches have the most access and insight into the movement competency and incomplete mechanics of their athletes and clients and are often the only person privy to their overuse aches and mechanically-based pain. Yet these coaches typically aren’t prepared or trained to manage movement restrictions and simple movement based pain problems. This creates a gap where the athlete or client either:
- Ignores their movement restriction or dysfunction problem until it becomes so severe that they are forced to seek formal medical care, or
- Stops the offending movement or activity hoping that the problem spontaneously resolves.
The TRS Coach’s Course aims to fill this gap in knowledge and experience. The movement and performance coach must become the first responder in helping an athlete or client understand a sound course of action regarding the resolution of movement based dysfunction. In order to provide cogent movement instruction towards continued athletic development, we need to more closely conjoin the stimulus for athletic physical adaption, the dynamic and ongoing movement diagnostic process, and the management of movement related problems at the point at which movement instruction is actually delivered, like the track, gym, court, or field. Only the working coach is adequately positioned to fill this need and complete the cycle of athletic performance and athlete care.
After years of teaching the foundations of Movement & Mobility, the overwhelming feedback from coaches and athletes has been a desire for more advanced instruction and application. The 102 Course is our answer and will provide coaches with systematic movement assessment as well as advanced techniques in mobilization, down-regulation, perfusion, and programming. The course is two full days, and includes a detailed Course Manual with background science, safety, and advanced programming.
The goal of our Movement & Mobility 101 Course is to make the invisible visible. The goal of this course is to make the invisible quantifiable. Attendees will learn a complete system of movement assessments for the spine, upper and lower body. Athletes and coaches looking for a deeper appreciation of the science of movement and how to improve it will learn how to see movement through the eyes of an advanced movement practitioner.
- Understanding of the I3 Model
- Proper Warm Up
- Basic Understanding of Pain Science
- Red Flags/Scope of Practice
- Application of TRS Movement Assessment
- Interpretation of TRS Movement Assessment and Incidents
- Ability to Describe ROM & Joint Capsule “End Feel”
- Understanding of Down Regulation/Desensitization/Tissue Perfusion
- Application of Advanced TRS Mobilizations
- Application/Understanding of Spinal Organization/Bracing
First Level/Initial Programming Approach for Incident Pattern Strategies
Certification - Movement and Mobility 101: TRS Specialist Course online
Certificate or proof of attendance at our prior in-person Movement and Mobility Seminar
RECOMMENDED SUPPLEMENTAL READING MATERIAL
Updated and Expanded Edition of Becoming A Supple Leopard by Kelly Starrett
Level 2 Course Manual (provided on first morning of course)
- Two lacrosse balls taped together or a MobilityWOD Gemini
- A single lacrosse ball
- A VooDoo Floss Band
- A larger ball like a softball, MobilityWOD Supernova, or a rubber princess ball like you’d find at a drug store.
- A green jump stretch band or friend with a green jump stretch band (a bike tube will work in a pinch but we encourage you to have a proper band). We think the most universally useful band is the Green Rogue Monster Band.
- A scraping tool
- Paper and pen to take notes
Most of these items can be found at:
CREDENTIALS & REQUIREMENTS
A TRS Movement & Mobility Specialist Certificate will be issued at the completion of the course.
To receive a TRS Coach’s Course Certification, one must:
- Participate in all parts of the Movement & Mobility 102 Course.
- Pass the online test within 7 days of completing the in-person 2-day seminar
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS
We have been approved by the following organizations for continuing education credits as follows: ACE: CEP125759 @ 1.5 CEUs, AFAA: provider #11,770 @ 15 CEUs, NASM: provider #4,045 @ 1.6 CEUs.